Big EZ

After the race fail weekend, we had a birthday party for Red and E.  RKY’s parents came to my mom’s house.  I set up a bounce house.  My aunt and cousin came.  A couple hours late, one of my sisters came with one of her kids.  That was it. My dad had to go to work.  Kind of disappointing.  E woke up in a bad mood too, so it took her awhile to have fun but eventually she got some jumping in.  Red and I jumped a lot.  We had cake and they opened presents.

The next big thing I had was a trip to New Orleans with my mom.  I left early on Thursday morning and came back Saturday evening.  We had a long layover in Dallas on Thursday so we ate some breakfast and eventually made it to New Orleans just before 1.  The airport shuttle took foreverrrr.  We immediately dropped our stuff in our room and went out walking.  We met up with my sister, her bf, and my aunts.  We ate at a little bar on Bourbon Street and walked around.  Overall the city looked and smelled dirty.  We went to a voodoo shop and then walked around Jackson Square and down by the river.  After that, we went back to the hotel to rest for a bit.  Then we changed and headed out to Oceana Grille, for the rehearsal dinner. The food was really good but socializing is not my favorite.  We were there for over two hours.  After we left, we walked back on Bourbon street and things were getting crazy.  Saw a drunk Elmo.

We were pretty tired from getting up around 4 a.m, so we went to bed around 9:30.  The next morning we went out to breakfast with my sister and Jon.  City workers were hosing off the streets and everything smelled pretty rank.  We found some bar on Decatur street that was serving breakfast.  I had some eggs and tried some beignet sticks which were not good.  We caught a cemetery tour at 10.  It was two hours long and was very historical, not very spooky.  It was good and interesting but about 30 minutes too long.  It was sort of draining trying to listen to this guy with a heavy NOLA accent.

After the tour we ate lunch in our hotel and then decided to go to the Audubon Insectarium.  Our original plan was to go to the aquarium but it closes early on Fridays.  The insectarium was actually really cool.  I took a lot of photos there.  We spent about 2 hours there with Jon.  He went back to the hotel and my mom and I continued walking around.  We found a mall and wandered around there for awhile.  The only thing we bought was fudge from the Fudgery.  We walked on Decatur a little bit more but we were sooo tired.  We went back to the hotel and I just laid in bed for about an hour and then got up to get ready for the wedding.  We caught a bus to the venue and arrived at 6:45.  The ceremony didn’t start until 7:30 so there was a lot of wandering around and mingling with family.  The ceremony was really nice and quick.  It ended with fireworks and  5 piece jazz band.  Then we went inside and were immediately overwhelmed by waiters and waitresses bringing us delicious food.  They had dozens of different kinds of foods, supposedly 75 different kinds.  I tried probably 5 or 6 different things.  The first bus to bring us back to the hotel didn’t come until 10:45, so we milled around inside and outside.  They did some speeches.  Some people danced.  Nearly everyone caught the early buses when it was time to leave.  We just hurried to get ready for bed since we had to leave at 7 in the morning.

Coming back home was pretty uneventful.  Always a good thing when you are flying.  I read most of the flights.  We ate meh food at both airports.  Landed home around 2:30 and my dad picked us up.  It was nice to be home again with my girls.  We played at the park for a long time later that evening.  It’s getting dark at 7 p.m. so it’s easier to transition to bed time.  Sunday morning I was able to sleep in and run during Sunday school. Got in 7 miles while feeling kind of icky in my stomach.   Typical as of late.  This morning I got up early and ran 6 miles.  I actually felt pretty good despite being really hungry from fasting for my blood work.  Weather is great now.  Turned the day after the marathon, of course.

I will have to take my running day by day now and hope that in another month I start to feel a bit better.  I hope to do some 10 mile long runs most weeks.  No races I have committed to yet, but we will see.  I just want to enjoy the perfect running weather.

%d bloggers like this: