My first race of summer did not go well.  It was the one that runs right by my house, and is at night time, so it’s usually my favorite.  Saturday morning I took the kids to the farmers’ market and to story time at the bookstore.  Then we chilled at home for a long time and went to the parade.  It was pretty hot out, but not too humid.

Red ran the kids’ race at 7:30 pm.  I ran it with her .  It was like any other race, super congested and then a bit faster at the end.  I think she was frustrated with the crowd, now she knows how I feel. 😉

I went home and hung out in the AC.  At 8:30 I ran a mile on the treadmill and then ran to the starting line.  It felt hot with all the bodies waiting and it seems like night time brought on more humidity.  It was probably about 72 degrees though, not bad.

We started and I felt a little on the tired side but didn’t think much of it.  I did not run with my Runkeeper.  Right before the first mile I landed on my leg and felt something slip.  It was like a mild sciatic pain for the rest of the race.  Annoying, but shouldn’t have been a big issue.  No one was saying the time at the 1st mile.  The 2nd mile I started to struggle.  Felt hot and annoyed at my leg.  Crossed the 2 mile mark in 13:25.  I was sad to hear this.  My new goal was to finish in under 27, but I knew that would be hard.  Third mile I felt crampy in my stomach.  I think I need to lay off the pop again.  Just was discouraged and not feeling it.  At mile 3 the timer said 20:30, I think.  The last mile is the one by my house.  E was sleeping on my mom in the yard and Red was helping hand out water at the stop.  I ran by and waved.  Didn’t get a great boost from it and really struggled up the hill.  Finally turned and just kept chugging along.  I could see one female in front of me but didn’t really try to pass her.  No one had passed me since early in the 2nd mile, so maybe everyone was struggling.  We made the final turn and they started announcing the finishers.  the highlight of the race was that the announcer said here comes (my name) who has been running this race for many many years and ran with her little one earlier 🙂

I crossed the line in 27:20.  wah wah.  I was expecting 26:30-40ish.  Based on my training, I really think I should have been able to run 6:40s. But nothing seemed to be clicking for me during the race.  Before the race, I felt fine.  So I guess I am not sure what happened.  It wasn’t my night.  I think I have a great race in me somewhere.  My legs could really use a rest, but marathon training.

Sunday I ran an easy 3 on the treadmill.  Monday I ran 10.25.  Tuesday I ran 6.5.  Wednesday I ran a fast 2.  This morning I ran 6.5.  I felt pretty crummy during this run and discouraged but then towards the end I felt good.  The plan is to run 6 tomorrow and 16.5 on Saturday so I get in 50 miles.  Next week I hope to get in 50 miles again and complete an 18 mile long run.  The next week after that will end with the 7 mile hilly race that I am hoping will go better for me.


%d bloggers like this: