Do not try to swim to Europe

Another race weekend come and gone in a flash.  Seriously, every single race just goes by so fast these days.  Not that my pace was terribly fast, but it’s just like, over so soon.  

I went to packet pick up on Friday and got my 15 yr anniversary pin.  Seriously, that makes me feel old as balls.  This is the first year they had technical shirts, but the design still leaves something to be desired.  I would actually prefer a soft cotton tee with a cool design.

Saturday morning I drank water as soon as I woke up and then went to the bathroom three times before I left.  I picked up my mom and we headed downtown.  Got there about 45 minutes early and started to walk towards the starting corrals.  We found some empty port a johns so I went one more time, just to make sure.  

The temperature was pretty nice, around 70 with a cool breeze.  Humidity was pretty high which caused me to sweat a lot, but at least the breeze was cool and the sun hid behind clouds most of the race.  I went into my corral about 10 minutes before the start and was able to maneuver up to a much better position than last year.  After some fanfare, we started and I crossed the start line in maybe 20 seconds or so.  I turned on my new iPod shuffle but I am still not really used to using it and ended up on the wrong playlist.  

The first half mile is up hill.  Like, a big ass hill.  Normally I am too busy trying to go fast and dodging people to notice.  This year, I noticed.  My hip hurt and I was huffing and puffing.  Pregnancy will do that to ya.  We finally crested the dang hill and I was pretty discouraged.  I was happy to hear my first mile at 8:27 which was right where I was last year when I ended up with 47 minutes or so.  My second mile was much faster but I was still not in a groove.  I think the timer said 15:45.  Third mile, felt like we were going downhill the entire first half, but there is one small hill in this mile that is pretty steep.  I was able to crest that one feeling good.  The pain in my hip was gone.  As we ran down that hill, I finally felt ready to run.  Reached the turn around and kept thinking, oh no, here comes the pain.  When you run downhill for so long, you expect the uphill to be rough.  Every single year I have to remind myself, that it really isn’t.  It doesn’t feel like an uphill battle except for that same steep hill.  I reached the turnaround at 27 minutes 44 seconds (gun time).  

I reached 4 miles in 31 minutes and was enjoying myself knowing that I had 29 minutes to finish and still reach my goal of under an hour.  5 miles was probably around 38:40 and 6 miles I was at 47:30, which was sort of sad when I realized that I would have been done if it was last year.  The last mile we get to run that same big hill, but going down.  So I had a 7 minute mile and finished in 54:30.  I did not see my mom, though she saw me and was yelling at me.  Oblivious.  

I tried to get some silly photos from marathonfoto, so we will see how those come out.  Not that I will buy any.   I was pretty happy with my finish and still felt good, so I ran a half mile cool down towards our meeting spot.  We were able to get out of town without any issues and we stopped at McD’s for some egg white delights.  The rest of the day was spent chilling with Red until RK’s parents arrived and we entertained them for the weekend.  

Yesterday I got in a short bike ride, about 6 miles in the evening.  The weather has been perfect lately with highs in the 70s.  This morning was very cool and I ran 10 miles.  Then I got Red ready and we went to my doctor’s appt.  I found out that I don’t have diabetes.  I just fail the one hour test miserably, every stinking time, even when I am not pregnant.  I asked when I have to stop biking and the doctor said in 4-5 weeks.  That is later than I expected.  He said my weight gain is very good, it has been steady.  I weighed 140.4 today (clothed etc).  I don’t own a scale, but I would guess that I started around 128 or so.  If I gain a pound a week for the next 9, I should be right around 20 lbs.  I am trying to eat more and it has been going good some days, some days, not so much.  My stomach is feeling squished and I have acid reflux.  I ate BWW Saturday and got a mild bbq sauce but still ended up with terrible reflux.  

My next appointment is in 2 weeks!  This makes things seem so much closer.  The weeks will start to fly by now.  I also have an U/S that day to confirm her kidneys are fine.  I am going to try to make a list of things to do before she gets here.  

%d bloggers like this: